May 30, 2010

Money is a lousy way to motivate people

I once argued UN salaries shouldn't be so high as these were, in my view, responsible for the low effectiveness of the institution. Most people disagree. But academic research seems to be on my side. There is more and more evidence that monetary rewards crowd-out intrinsic motivation and are counterproductive for public prosocial activities. I tried to support my claim with more evidence... Now, on his excellent blog, Eric Barker throws a bunch of examples. Anybody with me?

5 comments:

Maribou said...

I'm with you buddy!

Salvi said...

give me 100 bucks and I'll be with you too buddy!!

Anonymous said...

I am with you!

I am really enjoying your updates from the Rigot Headquarters, Pierre-Louis!

best wishes, hannah

Laura Z said...

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

Laura Z said...
This comment has been removed by the author.